Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia by Frank Palmcoast

When he's not watching, with beads of sweat, his fellow, legally blind, senior citizens parallel park, Frank Palmcoast is catching seven dollar movies at the local multiplex from sunny Pompano Beach, Florida. He's retired, he's angry at the world, he can't spell to save his life, and he hates Hollywood almost as much as Hillary Clinton, but that will not stop our irreverent, dementia fightin', AARP card carrying everyman from giving us a fresh take on all things Hollyweird. Besides, how can he pass up that marvelous senior citizen discount?

*****************************************

Can
Julie and Julia withstand the heat of Palmcoasts' kitchen?

*****************************************


This flick is about two chicks with similar sounding names doing food. Just note how desperate Palmcoast is, having to see Julia Child's bio. Honestly, I had two selfish reasons in seeing Julie & Julia, one, I have often enjoyed Beef Bourguignon and secondly, I have the utmost hopes that this will inspire Mrs. Palmcoast to new culinary heights. This movie is charming and brought to life by the shear genius of Meryl Streep and it sure takes a professional to play a professional. Pardon me, but Streep looks a lot like Susan Boyle when she's done up like Julia Child. Tucci, Julia's husband, is brilliant and for me, one of the best character actors Hollyweird has to offer. Upon seeing this movie, I suspect many will go out and buy a cookbook and I hope my wife is one. Hollyweird had to get political with the line"If I were a Republican, I would have fired you" and all the uunnecessarytalk about McCarthyism. I was happy to see that all the sex was confined to marriage. Over all a well cooked meal and when the movie was over we all had a tremendous appetite for something to eat. Bon Apetit!
The Palmcoast

4 comments:

Peter Rinaldi said...

wow, you are so right about Streep/Boyle. funny. welcome back, Mr. P

Adam Barnick said...

isn't sex during marriage a sin?

WriterRichO said...

This was a wonderful, albeit very commercial, film. I haven't seen too much pop corn fodder this summer (Can't wait for GI JOE, Wolverine, Transformers DVD'S!!!) but this was a wonderful meditation, for this soooooon to be married dude, on what a marriage should be! Paul and Julia Child had an incredible marriage, even if it was only 40% as good as the one portrayed. Did you read that the Julie Blogger chick had actually cheated on the dude while they were in that fight? I heard it after seeing the flick and Ms. Ephron wisely left that plot point on the scarp heap of history. Very different film, indeed...

zees5 said...

I wish I hadn't spent $ seeing this since it did bash a political party, which I find divisive for our troubled country right now. Streep's characterization of JC was strong but greatly undermined by a very weak and uninspiring depiction of Julia Powell. Here is something tongue in cheek to watch though (: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0