Thursday, November 5, 2009

Peter's Film Viewing Journal (Metropolis)

I'd like to try to write my random and initial thoughts for every film (of note) that I see starting today, especially retrospective selections I have viewed on the big screen, with little editing and lots of brevity and focusing on thoughts/reaction, not criticism; taking the tone of "notes to self".

Metropolis
Dir. Fritz Lang
1927
Screened at MOMA on November 4 2009

I am embarrassed to say that I had never seen this legendary silent film. I am not sure why. But I jumped at the chance to see it on the big screen. Unfortunately I found myself extremely fatigued suddenly right before the film was to begin. So much so that I actually closed my eyes and dosed off. I don't recall ever doing that in a theater.

So needless to say, I was struggling to stay awake during the beginning of the film. But I soon regained control of myself. I was a little surprised about this film. I was expecting, having heard so much about it over the years, to be constantly bombarded with expressionistic and futuristic sets and designs. This wasn't so. It was very much seeped in a "silent drama" essence.

Lang is an amazing filmmaker. There is no way you can approach his stuff, considering the time period, and not leave in awe. But, just like with his Mabuse, The Gambler film, I really found it hard to follow a lot of the time. Could this be because I was half awake? Maybe.


I really responded to the expressionist moments in the film, and not so much the futuristic aspects. That was surprising. But the bottom line is I need to see this classic again, with some energy.

-Peter Rinaldi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

definitely give it another go sometime. Will be curious to see what you think.

-AB