Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Throes (Part 3)

poster by: Adee


Read The Throes (Part 1) & (Part 2)

The Throes
Part 3
"Interlude"

John is ringing a buzzer at the front door of an apartment building.
Voice Over Intercom/ Yes?
John/Beth, it’s me, John. Can I come up?
Beth(over intercom)/John? Why didn’t you call, I got company.
J/I called like seven times.
Beth(over intercom)/Go away. You can’t just show up.
J/Beth, please, it’s not what you think.

John is at her apartment door. She opens the door slightly, sticks her head out.
Beth/(trying to be quiet) My grandparents are here. You can’t come in.
John/Why’d you let me in then?
B/Why are you here?
J/The cops are looking for me. I just need to lay low till I figure out what’s going-
Beth’s Grandfather, Hank, pops his head out.
Hank/Who is it out here?
J/Hey! Mr. Davis, how are you?
H/Who are you?
B/Poppa, This is my friend John, he-
H/I’m her boyfriend, John.
B/Ah, fuck you, John.
John sticks out his hand for him to shake.
Hank didn’t hear her; he was too busy making a fuss.
H/Boyfriend! Oh, come on in, John. Beth, let the boy in. What are you doing? Aren’t you a little too old to be hiding your boyfriends? (He turns back in to the apartment) Sue, Beth’s boyfriend is here!
Sue’s Voice/Boyfriend!
John smiles at Beth. Beth doesn’t return it.

Sue, Beth’s Grandmother, is laying down silverware in front of John at the table. Hank is beaming next to him. Beth, the only one who seems not to be having a good time, is washing dishes, punctuating the small talk that the others are engaged in with slammed bowls and cups.
Hank/Well we can certainly understand where your affection for her comes from. She is our favorite granddaughter.
Sue/That’s unofficial, John, of course.
John releases a well disguised fake laugh.
John/Of course.
H/What did you say it is that you do?
J/I’m a physician.
Beth slams a dish hard into the sink.
S/Oh my. What type?
J/I’m a Gynecologist, actually.
Beth turns and throws daggers at John. He is unphased.
J/That’s where I met Beth.
B/All right, all right. John’s not going to stay to eat. He’s got things to do, isn’t that right John?
John sneaks a quick peek at his phone. No messages.
He looks Beth right in the eyes. He smiles slyly.
J/Nope. I can eat.
He instantaneously removes his smile from this face. There is something vengeful going on between the two of them.
Beth looks like she going to kill him.
S/That’ a Boy. Whatever it is, it can wait.
J/That’s right.
Beth turns back to the dishes.
H/You are in for a treat, young man. My wife can cook the hell out of food.
John smiles at Hanks turn of phrase.
J/Well it must’ve trickled down to Beth. I am telling you, if I let another man get grab a hold of his one, I’ll be missing out on some fine eatin’, I am tellin’you.
Beth stops the sink. She lefts her head up. She doesn’t care anymore.
B/I don’t cook, dickhead. I DON’T COOK!
Sue and Hank are confused. But they try not to let the awkwardness linger.
S/Food is important. It’s a major part of our lives.
H/You said it.
J/Oh yes. It’s the way to a man’s heart, they say.
There is a long, silent pause.
J/That’s why when I marry your Granddaughter, I intend-
John is punched, hard, right in the eye, by Beth. He didn’t even see it coming. It nearly knocks him off the chair.
Sue’s high pitched yell is over and there is stunned silence again. But not for long.
S/Get the fuck out of my apartment, you fucking asshole!
John’s shock is subsiding as the pain comes. He holds his face.
S/GET OUT!!!
John gives her a look. It says “I was joking. You didn’t get it” and it makes her even more mad. She lunges at him. This time John moves. Hank Grabs her.
B/If you don’t get out of here I will fucking kill you!!!!!!
She is completely flipping out now. Hank can hardly hold her. Any appearance she was trying to keep for her Grandparents is forgotten. John is scared. He slips his jacket on as he reaches for the door. He attempts a visual goodbye toward Sue and Hank, but aborts it. He slides out.

On the street, John is examining his bruise in a car mirror. ‘It’s gonna be some shiner,’ he thinks. Two texts come in, one right after the other. He looks at his phone. First one is from Kira.
‘Kira?’ John didn’t even know she had his number.
It reads, “John, I need to talk to you. It’s serious. Can I come over?”
The second one is from Sammy.
“Mustard is back. She was drugged. Call me”
Suddenly John's face doesn't hurt that much.

to be continued





1 comment:

Melissa King said...

Wow! Very interesting spin of events. I was not expecting that punch from Beth. You should have seen my eyes when I first read it.

Don't wait so long before you give us part 4! :-)