Thursday, December 31, 2009

SIN-E-FILE (Remembering the 00s)


Gotta get it in.

As the seconds literally tick away on 2009, I am realizing that the best film I have seen this decade is one that came out just as the decade was beginning, but which I just viewed two months ago on DVD - Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies (2000). I watched it hot on the heels of, by far, the most significant movie going experience of my entire life- Tarr's Satantango at MoMA. Am I just hot for this guy or is he really THAT good? Let me put it this way: First there was Griffith (birth) then there was Godard (change) now there's Tarr. Everything else is, more or less, by- product.

I have no desire to own these two films on DVD, nor will I watch them again in that format. The state of Tarr's art relies heavily on immersion, and, generally, that simply cannot fully happen right now in my "home theater". So, as a result, I think it wouldn't be exaggerating to say that I actually haven't really seen Werckmeister Harmonies. And I won't until I do on a big screen. Rather than suffering through a series of bumbling words written in an attempt to describe why this film is great, just trust me and go see it when it comes back around (Which it does). I will let you know when it comes.

There is another film that I watched 6 times on the big screen, and just because it came from a relatively large studio and has Hollywood stars in it, that doesn't diminish my appreciation for the work that is done in it and the totally satisfying experience that was created. I am speaking of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This is one of the only films that I can share an affinity for with large numbers of the Hollywood movie-going audience. This makes me happy. I don't really know why. Charlie Kaufman gets my vote for the CineMan of the Decade.

But really, this was the decade of the small film, the personal film, the "no money" film; films that come entirely from one brain or that are pretty much made entirely by one person. Coppola's "fat little girl in Ohio" vision has really come true. Here is a short list of some titles to discover or remember when everyone else is talking about Avatar. Spread the word about these significant motion pictures. Feel free to add to the list.

(in no particular order)
-Tarnation
-I am a Sex Addict
-Dear Zachary (A Letter to a son about his father)
-FrownLand
-The Windmill Movie
-Quiet City
-The Brown Bunny
-The Cats of Mirikitani
-Funny Ha Ha



-Peter Rinaldi

5 comments:

Adam Barnick said...

Happy New Year! I really need to immerse myself in Tarr's work, "home viewing" or not. Every day I hear more great things. Hope you'll have more Sin-E-Files up your sleeve for this decade!

Brian Hughes said...

I have Satantango on my swap site - I am 4 people away from owning it for free - but I know it won't have the same power or experience.

I only saw Funny Ha Ha, Tarnation and Sex Addict from your list, but I whole heartedly agree with those three films.

I don't know ... in terms of mainstream - maybe I would say Lost in Translation, Grizzly Man, Once was a good experiment, Memento, No Country for Old MEN, Amelie. And I would think many people would put the Squid and The Wale, Junebug, Dogville, and Before Sunset on their list amongst many others. I liked Babel.

But you are absolutely correct - technology has paved the way for the little fat girl, and it exploded this past decade. Maybe a bit too much, because not everyone can be the little fat girl.

Nice post!

Melissa King said...

I also loved I Am A Sex Addict and hope that many more people will have an opportunity to see this film. It's so important.

Dear Zachary touched me deeply and I'm glad you shared this film with me.

The Cats of Mirikitani was also such a special film. I was so inspired by this one. She did, in her life, what I always wish I would be able to do. Another one I hope more people will have an opportunity to see.

I also enjoyed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it's become special to me since I met you because of how much I know you love it.

I would add to your list The Sensation of Sight. This film really impacted me and made me excited about ways spirituality can be brought into film without insulting the viewer. This film clings to me in a meaningful way.

I appreciate your lists and views. I'm so glad you share them. :-)

Peter Rinaldi said...

yes, miss king, thank you for mentioning "The Sensation of SIght". Another incredible filmgoing experience.
and boys - don't do it! don't watch Tarr on TV the first time! It's like listening to a song for the first time with only one earphone in. did you hear the song? yes? really?

Adam Barnick said...

Please alert us to any potential screenings when they come up, Rinaldi!