Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Learning How To Practice 4: "Opinions"


by Brian Hughes

I get so damn frustrated with my opinions! Why do I have so many opinions? Why do I feel the need to tell people my opinions all the time? Will telling people my opinions end suffering in the world? Certainly not, only our actions can do that. Opinions float about everywhere, and they are as toxic as the worst virus you can imagine. They eat slowly at our insides over time, because we are not satisfied until the person we tell our opinions to understand us, or believe us, or tell us we are right. And that need, that desire, causes suffering.


True experience through actions should be the only “opinion” that counts; when it is asked, not when you force it down someone’s gullet. Experience is truth, though in actuality, it is still funneled through the person experiencing it, which ultimately can distort truth: primarily because we tend to live most of our life in an un-awoken, or egotistical state. This way of life forces us to live selfishly, or give our opinions when not asked.

The last two days at my job have given me two instances where I realized, as I have dozens of times, that opinions mean nothing. On the first day we debated between conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat, and I found my face turning red and getting warm when one of my co-workers said something I strongly disagreed with. But when I looked deeply at it afterwards, I had to ask myself several questions: where do my opinions come from - fact or experience? Where do his opinions spring from? I also had to ask myself why I had the need to prove my co-worker wrong? Why? Will proving that I’m write end human suffering? Will I be more enlightened if I’m right? Of course not. Then along those same lines, I had to ask myself whether these opinions being bandied about would cause the end of suffering, which is the ultimate concern of all Buddhism. Again, the answer would have to be a resounding – NO. A lot of our political opinions come from newspapers, blogs, friends, parents, television, school – wherever, so we should ask ourselves the same question: where do these opinions come from? Hard lived experience and first hand knowledge, or are they just more distorted opinions filtered through more opinions.

Are Rush Limbaugh and Hillary Clinton right or wrong about everything? Of course not. But where do their opinions come from? To what end are they given? Are they sprung from a genuine place, or are they given strictly to further their political party? Trust and honesty are, as we know, a very tricky thing when it comes to humanity in general, let alone politicians. Politicians for the most part, especially on the national level, are vying for the biggest political Holy Grail available – and I find it very hard to believe that they get there through moral means. Also, no matter what side you are on, John McCain and Hillary Clinton will not be there for us when it matters most: when we are dying, ill, old or suffering. Only our families, only the communities we helped, will be there for us, not the politicians we dumped half our time and salary on.

But I digress, for the point of this essay is opinions and how completely overrated they are.

Just today, another political discussion was begun amongst my co-workers and I, and unfortunately we got onto Religion, which is the only other topic to avoid, for me, other than politics. And again, I found myself in a position of saying why I thought Buddhism was a better choice of religion. Why? Buddhism does not need me to prove anything. It certainly doesn’t need me to proselytize, considering Buddhism has a strict code against proselytizing. Again – how can my opinion about Buddhism, or any other religion, end human suffering? It’s ridiculous. So the dialog went back and forth and back around again, and nothing was proven, only defended. And of course the opinions, including mine, were probably not very accurate or truthful. I can’t be certain, but I don’t think he had every passage from the bible memorized, and I certainly am far from the most knowledgeable person when it comes to Buddhism. So …… why ….. why the need to spout our opinions, to lash one another with half-truths? This topic is a real sore point for me because I give my opinion much more often than my heart of heart cares to.

Why can’t we, as John Lennon said, live “freedom of religion for real” – where no one has the need to push their opinions or religious beliefs on anyone else.

As far as politics go, you can’t really have a political system it seems without differing opinions, anger and slander, so that might be a battle not worth fighting over. But for those of us not involved in politics, or not as knowledgeable, it seems the best way to live, for me, is to keep my opinions to myself, vote for who I like, and not feel the need to press my ideas on people who want none of it. If it is asked of me, then that is fine, but all too often I give it when it is not asked for or wanted.

My heart tells me one other thing, that no matter who is in the white house, no matter what religion has the most population across the globe, there is no better way to end human suffering than through action. If I wait for politics to end my suffering or the world’s, I will wait for a long, long time. Suffering and the needs of those who are suffering should supercede politics or religious preference.

But there I go again, giving my opinions ….


For other essays in this series, please click on the following: (1) (2) (3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the grief tourist says...

the thing about opinions is to not MAKE them in the first place. opinions are the result of a mind locked in a world of dualities - of opposites - of black and white, day and night - us and them.

if we can learn to see past the world of duality - to our true nature that everything is made of the same universal substance - then all opposites dissapear.

imagine if we look at the world this way - as if our hands and feet and legs and hair are all independent nations.

imagine then that we hated our hands (let's say). this hatred grew until the point that we cut our hand off to prove our hatred for it.

well that would be silly - you would have cut your own hand off! you would have forgotten to see that ALL the parts come together to form YOU.

so is it with every other thing you encounter.

when we forget this we divide the world up into what we like and dislike and the suffering begins.

remember what a great teacher once said, "opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one - and they all stink."

don't try to get rid of your opinions - instead learn to see the world and everything in it as your mirror. because it is just that.

then you will find it moronic to argue with others about things. it would be like arguing with yourself in the mirror.

but without a committed sitting practice and interaction with a sangha all talk of this nature is ONLY an intellectual game.

it can not be gotten from reading about it. it happens slowly over years of dedicated practice on the cushion.

so sit sit sit and save others from suffering.

Peter Rinaldi said...

It seems that people can ONLY communicate these days by sharing opinions. if you refused to be opinionated you would be considered an elitist or unapproachable. or you would essentially be ostracized by your friends and work mates.

the solution is to express opinions that are the exact opposite of whatever you strongly feel. that way your ego is wounded (because you are not fighting for him) and it will eventually be manageable.