Tuesday, December 9, 2008

SIN-E-FILE (Sullivan's Travels)

"I have the sin of the Cinephile" - Jean Luc Godard

Every Thursday night on the fifth floor of Rutgers Church on west 73rd street, a bunch of nice people make a meal for a large number of elderly folks and then a film is digitally projected for their entertainment. It’s free and it’s aptly called Dinner and a Movie.

A delightful man, and veteran character actor of the stage and screen, Roger Franklin, selects the films and introduces them. I work at Rutgers, that’s how I know about it. I’ve been meaning to get over there to check it out , but honestly, I’ve often thought it would be nice to be able to one day take over this gig, at least for a little while, if only to have a weekly attentive audience at my whim. I’d cut attendance in half, probably, with my selections. I’m sure, after a while, knowing what I would make them watch, not even the appeal of a free meal would bring them back.

Well, as luck would have it, it’s Christmas time, and Roger Franklin looks like Santa, so he’s been hired as the bearded one at South Street Seaport and therefore unable to perform his duties on Thursday nights. Rutgers must’ve heard me dreaming, because they’ve asked me to fill in for him and pick the films and host the event for the month of December. I was thrilled, but, unfortunately, other obligations prevent me from doing all four weeks. I will be doing it this Thursday, however. They provided me with a list of Roger’s selections for the past 2 years and what he plans to show over the next year. A film popped in my mind instantly and I excitedly scanned the list, hoping not to find it. I didn’t. Sullivan’s Travels by Preston Sturges. Why that one? I don’t even own it. I think I’ve only seen it once, twice tops. I don’t know. But I didn’t even think again. It had to be that one.

Maybe because it’s an elderly crowd and the film’s from 1941; maybe it’ll bring back memories. But that’s not really it. It’s because it’s one of the great comedies, by one of the most influential and important writer/directors in the American comedy genre. It’s ultimately about movies and the joy we get from them and it's brilliantly written and fun and terribly moving in the end. But most importantly it’s smart. These people need to only see smart movies. There’s enough of them that are entertaining. This program can go another ten years and we won’t run out of smart, non-insulting entertainment. I realize the selections should be easy to swallow. I would probably think twice about showing them L’avventura , but maybe after a while, they’d be ready for Tokyo Story. (or is that too depressing for the old folks?) I am glad it’s only one night, I guess. I could get obsessive about this.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

-Peter Rinaldi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Who Never signs his name,
Mr. Go you know what in your hat, I just read an interesting article about Rutgers and the free meal and movie and about Sullivan's Travels and found this article quite interesting but I could'nt figure out who wrote it! Sign your name.
Palmcoast here!

Brian Hughes said...

This is a great new series. I'm proud the BBF offers it. It's just the right size and give just enough sweetness and wholesomeness and honesty and passion, to want to come back for seconds. If I were running it, I would have screened Titicut Follies.

Peter Rinaldi said...

hancocked it!

Melissa King said...

I want you to do this every week. And I want to come. And I want to see Sullivan's Travels now. Why do I have to have something going on tonight! Argh!!