Monday, April 20, 2009

SIN-E-FILE (The World of Apu)

"I have the sin of the cinephile"- Jean Luc Godard

After five months of intense mental suffering, eight undeserved Oscars and countless arguments with fans, I have finally received the antidote to Slumdog Millionaire.

The cure for this diseased piece of cinema has come in the form of a truly classic film that I took in the other night at the Walter Reade Theater, one that I had seen before years ago, made a mental note of its greatness, and yet still, somehow, it remain buried in my mind. Thanks to the Film Society of Lincoln Center, I rediscovered this incredible work. It is the last film in Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy, The World of Apu.

Both take place in India, but that's not really why a comparison was formed. What annoyed me most about Slumdog was that it was billed as a love story, when, in fact, it is significantly lacking in cinematic evidence that the characters actual love each other. What is really sad about this is that it doesn't take much to establish a romantic flame between two people in a movie. It is also depressing that most people actually didn't mind that there was no real romance in the film. To these people, when a character says "I love her", apparently that's enough.

Well, not only is that "not enough" for me, but I actually find it incredibly insulting as a filmgoer.

That's why when one sees The World of Apu, it becomes abundantly clear how love can be conveyed in a film. But what is so amazing about Ray's film is just how much we are invested in this relationship considering how simply and efficiently this story is presented to us. This, frankly, is what separates a mediocre filmmaker from a master. The main character, Apu, goes from being alone, to being in love, to being alone again after having loved, and the complexity of these three states is tangible to the viewer and not just alluded to. It is a visceral experience that's produced from the intricately drawn characters and the story. In Slumdog, the experience is also visceral, but it is produced from the overpowering music and conventional cliches and devices, resulting in a fleeting feeling.

How depressing and embarrassing to have a film from 50 years ago offer me a more lasting and significant experience. What does this say about our times? Our "art"?

I hope I am overreacting. I really do.

Here is a clip from The World of Apu that's on Youtube. Naturally, it is just plain wrong to watch a short clip from this wonderful film. But maybe it will spark your interest and you'll check out the whole thing.


-Peter Rinaldi

2 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

Great post. I haven't seen World of Apu in a long time ... but I completely agree with the mickey-mousing of Slumdog. Was this a criterion DVD? Is all of Apu covered by them? Can't remember ...The main character in Slumdog saw the girl a few times, very far apart from one another - and somehow it was love. I don't get it either.

Melissa King said...

I really enjoyed this film too. It was a beautiful love story. I also agree, slumdog's portrayal of love was lacking.