Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Story Slice: The Takeoff


by Brian Hughes

This is a continuation of a story that began here:


Cahil sat at the gate confidently. He batted his thighs like drums, feeling indestructible: three fair maidens would be his. It had taken him many years to feel just …like… this. This would be the sexual adventure he had dreamt about. And what better timing: a career defining interview with pop star Brenda Burgundy, several biters for his first book of fiction, the beginning of a new stable life with his soon to be bride, and a grand sense of entitlement that all of this and more should be coming to him.

His trip of unbridled sexual ribaldry though would have to wait, for there was a fissure in the landing gear module of the airplane. There was another flight he could jump on, but that would mean a three hour layover in Chicago. Not exactly how he wants to see one of the great cities for the first time. He’ll wait.

The Takeoff Bar was teeming with business types reading trade magazines and sports sections. There was a stool open; Cahil took it. All this dreaming of the three California sex maidens made him feel licentious, so he ordered a rum and coke and dialed Janeen.

“Mom and I are looking at three more restaurants for our reception.”
“So we’ve ruled out the Botanical Gardens?” Cahil asked.
“Yes – and The Inter-Continental.”
“Awww … I was jonesing for The Inter-Continental. That view.”
“That’s so cute …”
“What?”
“That you’re this invested. That you are disappointed.”
“Of course I’m invested!” He laughs.
“Well, one thing the city is not short on is views.”
“Very true.”
“You know something?”
“What?”
“I miss you already. You think you might be able to come home earlier?”
“Possibly, but Carey is trying to set me up with another interview – I can’t say no to Carey.”
“No, you’re absolutely right. I picked out three invitations that I think you’ll really like.”
“I can’t wait to see them, hun.” Cahil said as horse racing caught his eyes on the television over the bar.

Talking to Janeen made him feel real low down. Why should I feel guilty, he thought. Every man deserves the opportunity to experience different body types before he sets out on a life of faithfulness. I mean, shit … I’m not having a silly ass bachelor party. Those things are just ass. I couldn’t help it if my mind was genetically prone to stay inside itself and not get laid for years and years and years. I know I’m a good person down deep, I keep telling myself that, and I know it’s true. I just haven’t fucked enough, and I want this – I need this, damn it!

The bartender with the red ponytail was heavily invested in the harness racing on TV.
“I could never get why people preferred harness racing over the regular racing,” Cahil said aloud to the bartender.
The bartender turned slowly toward him with big, bulging spaced out eyes.
“It’s the sulkies, my lad … the sulkies,” he said.
“Oh, okay … are those the carts they ride?”
The bartender looked back at the television. Cahil felt as if he was distracting the bartender from his race. “I like the blue one. If I could bet, I would bet on the blue one.”
“Well put your money where your mouth is lad. Place your loot on the bar!”
Cahil thought it over. “I’m a betting man, don’t tempt me, or you’ll lose your shirt.”
“Put it on the bar lad – the race is about to begin.”
“I have luck on my side – be careful.”
“On the bar lad!”
“How much … how much … let’s say ten dollars?”
“You’re on. You don’t know what the blazens you’re doing, do ya?”
“Not at all.”
“What are ya doin’ lad – you’re gonna loose that ten dollar bill.”
“I’m okay with that.”
After two and a half hours, Cahil was out a hundred dollars, and drunk to boot. Cahil had never flown drunk. This should be interesting, he thought. He was also out 30 dollars in drinks.
“I don’t have any more money for the drinks. I gave you all I have.”
“That’s very unfortunate. What are we going to do about this?”
“What I think I’ll do is run for my gate and not pay you.”
“I’ll be out thirty dollars. I won’t have that.”
Cahil began teasing the bartender with feigning to run away.
“I’ll hop over this bar and kick your little ass. I’ve been to jail, I’ll go again.”
“You’d go to jail over thirty dollars and a shitty airport bar job?”
“You’re beginning to piss me off.”
“I wouldn’t go to jail for my job … shit … Okay …here.” Cahil handed the bartender his charge card. Take twenty dollars off it for yourself – you’re a good chap.”
“Thank you, Sir.”

Cahil hated takeoffs. Janeen was so sweet. She texted him before take off. “Lake George” she wrote. Lake George was where they went on their first vacation together. They would phone or text the name of that first vacation spot as an offer of good luck and love before taking off. Those two words felt so incredibly safe to Cahil. They even had a force strong enough to burst through his drunken haze. He smiled and drifted off into a doze.

In his dream he saw Janeen and his future mother in law on line buying tickets at a movie theatre. The ticket taker was bitching because Janeen had only a hundred dollar bill and no change. The mother in law was angry and yelling at the theatre manager. Cahil walked over and put it all to rest by giving the ticket person three twenties. It felt good to Cahil that he could diffuse the situation. That he had cash in his pocket to do so. An Asian girl behind the ticket window was hot and coming on to Cahil, but she was just a child: he had no interest. Next he found himself on a subway train. The Asian girl sat in front of him as he leaned over her, bucking a bit from the rattle of the subway car. She stared at him and gave him the sex eye. The girl slipped off her sandal and rubbed his ankle with her bare foot. Cahil walked away. She was still a child, and still held no interest to him. He walked to the back of the car and watched the train tracks steal away in the dark tunnel. A young boy was trying to lift himself from the tracks onto the platform. He didn’t make it. A train barreled through and tore the little boy into oblivion. A grunted yell bellowed from deep inside Cahil, as he sound of the co-pilot awoke him. They would be taking the Northern route to California.

Brenda Burgundy was the featured story on the cover of the in-flight magazine. Like the Asian girl of his dream, he had no interest, even if she were one of the most famous women on the planet. Heather – Heather was a name that made his loins twitch. He got an instantaneous desire to jerk off in the airplane bathroom, but he felt his cheeks secreting saliva and was on the verge of violently vomiting. He made his way to the back of the plane and locked himself in. Someone was banging on the door, as he stuck his finger in his mouth. Cahil feared his flight to California would be a monumental mistake.

3 comments:

Peter Rinaldi said...

now i'm hooked. get the next one up quick.

Anonymous said...

Seriously! Great tale, but when's part 4?

Anonymous said...

As [he] sound of the co-pilot awoke him. I think you meant [the] sound of the co-pilot awoke him.
The airport bar scene was hysterical! Thanks for the read.