Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Throes (Part 2)


Click here for The Throes (Part 1)


The Throes

Part 2:
"I'm Bleeding...I think"

It’s morning. John’s cell phone is ringing. He is passed out on this bed, naked. He finally hears it and jumps up, grabbing it off the dresser.
John/Hello?
He has to hold his right arm out to the wall to support himself. He looks like he is going to pass out.
Voice on Phone/I hope you are happy with yourself.
It’s Sammy.
J/What?
He feels something on his leg. He looks down. There is dried blood all over the lower half of his body. He looks at the bed. There is dried blood all over the sheets.
Sammy on phone/Some friend you are.
John feels his legs for some place where the blood is coming from.
J/Sammy? Hold on man, I’m bleeding…I think.
S/Good. I hope you’re fucking bleeding good, ya drunk bastard.
John can’t find a cut. Something’s weird. He puts his blood covered finger to his nose, takes a sniff, and then licks it.
J/Its Ketchup.
S/What?
J/Sammy, seriously man, tell me what happened. Why is there ketchup all over my bed?
S/How the fuck do I know. Ketchup? That is fucking ironic considering you went home with Mustard.
An image comes rushing back to John. He was out the night before with Sammy and two girls that they playfully code-named ‘Mustard’ and ‘Ketchup’, one a blonde and the other a redhead. John was integral to Sammy’s plan, for it was unsure to Sammy which one was going to take a liking to him, with John’s role as “caretaker” of the other. But at some point in the night ‘Ketchup’ must have fled, leaving the single image in John’s mind of a very uncomfortable Sammy watching as ‘Mustard’ flirts with John.
J/She went home with me?
S/You really don’t remember? Are you being serious? She’s not there?
J/No. I’m sorry man. I really don’t know what happened. And now there’s ketchup all over my bed. I gotta stop drin-
S/Whatever man, I gotta go.
J/Shit, man-
Sammy hangs up. John puts the phone down. He looks back at the sheets. It looks like a murder scene. He shakes his head.

_______________________________________________________________________


John enters Mr. Flynn’s home office. He’s got a cup of coffee in his hand. He is not looking good.
Mr. Flynn jumps up from his desk. He pushes John back out the door into the hall.
Mr. Flynn/Didn’t you get my text? You gotta get out of here.
In all the Ketchup hoopla John must have skipped his message.
J/No I didn’t get it. What’s the matter?
MF/She doesn’t want you in the house anymore.
J/Who?
MF/My wife. This whole thing backfired. She demands that I fire you. She told me you came on to her and she will never feel comfortable around you again.
John is floored. How could she do that? Why? He doesn’t know how to react.
J/Can’t you talk to her.
MF/She won’t listen to anything I have to say.
J/No, I mean, can’t you tell her the truth?
Mr. Flynn laughs like that is the silliest suggestion ever.
MF/Good one.
J/So, that’s it? I’m fired.
MF/John, you did exactly what I asked you to do. You are a loyal confidant to me. I can’t let you go. Just stay away for now. Let some time pass. She’ll cool down.
John has to hide his anger. What the hell is she up to? Why would she do this to him?
Behind Mr. Flynn’s shoulder, Kira’s bedroom door opens. She pops her head out, locks eyes with John, starts shaking her head and mouthing the word “No”. John tries not to let his eyes linger on her so Mr. Flynn won’t notice she’s there. He’s confused.
MF/This is all my fault. I should have realized my wife is an honest woman. I will not let you suffer for my mistake. (lowering his voice) But you have to leave immediately.

______________________________________________________________________


John is ascending the subway steps, checking the text message that has come in. It’s from Sammy. John freezes.
“Cops were here. They are coming to your apartment.”
John jogs to his apartment building. There is a cop car double parked out front. He keeps his distance. He is about to call Sammy when another text comes in from him.
“Mustard never came home. No one knows where she is.”
John’s ketchup-stained hand starts to tremble.

to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

peter rinaldi - mystery writer - I'm loving this. what happened to mustard? Lots of girls have come up missing lately - this is a very now drama - keep in going - yeah, yeah!

Anonymous said...

When's part 3?!